Saturday 21 April 2012

Racism

I saw this article in the news today.  Foreign Nurses Report Racism in NZ - http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/13489125/foreign-nurses-report-racism-in-nz/


I thrash the system in NZ quite often in my blog and probably everyone will think I am going to go on about racism in NZ.  :)  Actually, quite the opposite.  My comments are racism occur everywhere in the world.  Chinese and Indian in Malaysia also complain about racism.  Honestly, I dont think it can be avoided anyway in the world.  I mean yes, our Asian skin colour does seem to be a bit of a disadvantage in a western country but then that is what we need to deal with if we choose to migrate and live in a western country.  I dont think its really worth fighting and lamenting over it.  If you are not happy, then go back to your home country.  


Like right now, I am not happy in NZ and praying and wishing the law in NZ will allow my son and I to return to Malaysia.  I trash the law but I will not use racism as a reason of unhappiness.   Racism is not part of the law, it is just how we feel about ourselves and look at other people's perception on ourself.


I grew up hating my Asian looks, always worshiping my western counterparts.  But life changes, I grew up and now, I am proud of my Asian hair, eyes, nose, body and everything else.  I will not swap anything of mine to look more western.  Once I come to term with myself and how I look, I no longer feel racism is a problem.  Yes, maybe at work, you feel that you are paid less than your western counterpart or in Malaysia, to your Muslim counterpart.  But in the end, is better privileges, better wage really that important?  Maybe if we put down our need to compare, then the thought of racism will not occur.  


No comments:

Post a Comment