Wednesday 29 August 2012

A Scary Education System

I have been meaning to give my 2cents thoughts on the education system in NZ for a while but only now found that time to write it down.  

I seriously cannot understand how scary it is for a 5 years old to turn up at school and everyone there knows each other!  I mean why must the school system works according to their birthdays?  As as adult, I could imagine how scary it would be for me if I have to turn up to school in the middle of the week, in the middle of a school term and be introduced to a class of people who already have their own cliques.  Not all type of personality would like to be thrown into that situation.  For my type of personality, I would quietly sit down and listen to the teacher and just cant wait to go home.  

I really cannot see the merit of making a child starts school when they turn five.  Why cant the there be a two block system where children born between Jan - June starts together and June to Dec starts 2 semester later?  That way they are all newbies together.  

In Malaysia, those born in the same year will start school at the same time so regardless of whether you are a January child or December child, you start school together.  OK, maybe at 4 yrs 1 month and 4 yrs 11 month, there is a huge development milestone. So maybe for 5 years old, they should only stay in school for half day say 9am - 12noon and school officially starts when they turn 6.  Why the rush to make them start formal schooling by 5?  

Most people says that the first 2 weeks of school is terrible for their child.  The child doesnt like it and only starts to fit in after 2 weeks.  I wonder is that a acceptance mechanism for the child?  Wouldnt this make the child 'hate' school?  

Well, my 2 cents thoughts is the system is sooooo scary for a child to start school.  I love the Malaysia system where everyone is a newbie together, you make your friends and form your own social circle based on your likes etc.  But here, you must try your luck and see which social circle 'wants' you in.  

Which brings to the point that my child being a mixed blood in NZ would/might suffer some form of teasing because of his Asian blood but in Malaysia, he will be 'wanted' in most groups because of his western blood.  Even for this reason itself, for the child's psychological health, we should be able to relocate back to Malaysia!  
Note, this is different if my child is not in a broken family because then both his parents are around that respect each other's culture, but in a broken family, my child will be teased especially in a western country and his rather mixed looks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment