Friday 10 February 2012

Being Asian...Being Catholic

Last night, I felt that beside physically losing my son, I am also losing him as in losing him completely.  I hear stories and from my on observation, I can see that this is inevitable.


I hear stories of divorced children from mixed cultural marriage as they grow up start denouncing their Asian heritage.  It is the same story whether it is the mother that is Asian or the father that is Asian.  The Asian parent 'loses' out in a western country.  Somehow being Asian is considered 'un-cool'.  And in a divorced situation where the child have a choice, the choice is to be cool which is being NOT an Asian or have any association with it.  


In my case, I am a double 'un-cool' because I am also a Catholic.  That is SUPERBLY un-cool - Catholic and Asian in a modern westernised county.  


I try speaking to my son in Chinese but he has no interest to learn it, I take him to a Chinese community playgroup and he didnt want to attend after the first class...  This is just the beginning of indirectly denouncing his Asian heritage.  With the non-removal order in place, it is definitely inevitable by teenage years, he would completely denounce his Asian heritage and will not be surprised denouncing his Catholic upbringing too... 


I blame the law for this although readers and people out there can say it is up to me how much I want to influence him in his Asian heritage.  Sorry, they are wrong.  When he goes to school, it will be his peers and fitting in that matters.  It's not so much the parent anymore.  Especially in my case, where he does have a choice between living a complete Kiwi lifestyle which is carefree and loose or a strict cultured Asian Catholic upbringing.  


Silly jokes like this shows that people do not realise and respect the Asian culture though the joke is meant in a well mannered way -  "He might not denounce you because you are Hot.  He can show off to his friends how Hot his mother is."  I am his mother and I want him to be proud of me because I am his Mother, his Asian mother, not because I look young and petite.  


What is so humiliating being an Asian?  I have met Asians that grow up in this country that says I am as much Asian as I look.  The rest of me is Kiwi. I dont practice any Asian culture and have no interest in any Asian culture.  Why is that?  What is so embarrassing about the Asian culture/food?  







No comments:

Post a Comment