Tuesday 28 February 2012

Euthanasia

Looking at my poor fish, I can totally understand why people performed euthanasia.  I know it's considered 'murder' but it's actually merciful killing.  It's done out of love and compassion.

I look at my poor fish.  Fins disintegrating, one eye almost gone from the fungus but it is still alive. At least that's what I feel with its gills opening and closing.  It is not eating, has lost tremendous weight but a true fighter as it is still not dead.  I showed my dad on skype and my dad suggested that I should bury the fish.  Save the fish from all the pain and misery.  Unfortunately, I couldnt get myself to do it.  I still see a fish that has live in it...  but when I look at fish, I also feel so upset.  It is really suffering.

However this shed a new light on the Euthanasia.  I think the law and society is quite harsh on people who performed euthanasia.  I know it is wrong but the action behind that merciful killing is actually love.  It is very painful to see someone/something you love dying slowly especially when it reached an inevitable stage.  I mean, I wonder if fish can talk, will fish ask me to stop giving him treatment and let him go?  I have a tendency of clinging on to things and I do wonder is fish holding on because I keep talking to it and encouraging it to fight the disease.

A part of me wants to stop the water treatment so that fish can go peacefully and quickly but a part of me cannot do it.  I feel that I am being unfair if I let fish go without trying every possible way to keep it alive.  I do now wonder which is the lesser of the two evil?  Let it die peacefully or fight but see it suffer?

I know these are the questions that actually go through a person's mind before assisting in euthanasia.  It is a very hard and difficult decision.  We should try to put ourselves in their shoes before judging them.  In my case, it is just a fish and it is tearing my heart.  What more, if it is a human that we love so much?  So much that it hurts to see them in pain and suffering...




No comments:

Post a Comment