Monday 16 January 2012

Formal vs Informal Learning

I have been hassled left and right to put my son in a full time kindy.  I was like, why the rush?  He is only 3.  Yes, I will look for a kindy for him but only the public kindy where its 2.5 hours a day.  I will not put him in a half day ( 4 hours) or full day kindy.  


My reasons - he is only a toddler ONCE in his life.  Why are we living in such a kiasu world that we feel the need for our 3 years old to know his ABC and 1,2,3 all the way to 100 when they are only 3?  Nursery, childcare, kindy only come about in recent years.  I am sure when I was a toddler, I was a 'stay at home' toddler.  


I started kindy at the age of 5, where before that I feel that informal learning at home can be so beneficial.  I go to the market with my grandmother, sees how she haggles for vegetables, meat, etc.  I helped my grandfather brew chinese medicine, I followed my uncle to his school.  All these are priceless learning.  I feel that learning is not only contained in an institution.  


And they are only toddler once in their life.  Why do I want to start him on an alarm clock at 3 years old so that he could get to kindy on time when he will be living on the alarm clock for the rest of his life?   He will need to wake up on time once he starts school, then it's university, and then work.  There will be no other chance in life where he can sleep in and have a nap/siesta in the afternoon.  No other time in his life he could be this carefree and no responsibility. 


I am not being possessive for not putting my child in full time kindy.  I just want him to enjoy his toddler-hood.  It's only once in a lifetime.  I want him to play and gain his own confidence. Although my son doesnt attend kindy, I find his confidence surpasses a lot of children who attends childcare/nursery/kindy.  He is not clingy, goes off to play with anyone in any situation, he can signs his nursery rhymes and also can count.  I have set time where for 1 hour a day, I will home school him and the rest of the time, he just learns from observing me or playing.  


FYI, I dont think I turned out that bad either for starting kindy at 5.  I did graduate as an Engineer and had a JPA scholarship to fund me through uni.  It does not mean a later start = slower in life!



3 comments:

  1. Mama Pauline,
    Daddy could have disagreed totally with Mama's view above if it was posted 2 weeks ago instead. He couldn't agree more with Mama after last week! Cause he now thinks that it's a bit too early for me to attend montessori. Initially I didn't cry at all. But I started crying last week and doesn't want to go to school anymore because I don't want to be "jailed" in the classroom every morning :( I was crying non-stop and dragging my feet to go to school for the past 2 days already ="(

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are ready, you wont cry. Tell your daddy that. To push them always result in disaster. :)

    ReplyDelete