Thursday 26 January 2012

Survival

A friend commented on my FB how I am able to DIY (Do It Yourself) now.  It makes me think... it's my situation that has turned me into a 'Anything Also Can Do' person.  Before this, where life is comfortable, I prefer to rely on the conventional way which is BUY something that I need.  But being thrown into this situation, my survival instinct has surfaced.  


Clothing -  I learned to knit and sew basic clothing items.  With my new knitting skills, I am also trying (and hoping) that I could get some income of it.  As for myself, I used to be ashamed of my petite size but now, it sure comes in handy.  I not only could fit whatever I owned 15 years ago, I could also fit into children's clothing which is so much cheaper.  Yesterday, I picked up 2 jackets for myself for $9.97 (for both jackets!) - a birthday present for myself after not buying anything for myself for 2 years.  My son's long pants at 1 years old has now turned into shorts for him.  Now, I am glad I didnt listened to those 'well-off' friends who commented why do I keep all my son's baby clothes! In fact, one of his 6 months old jeans is now a nice pair of shorts for him.  


Food - Occasionally I crave for my hometown food like Laksa and Sar Hor Fun.  I have learnt how to cook these dishes to feed my cravings.  I also started exploring my baking skills which has resulted in a more confident me.  Somehow as my survival skills submerge, I also feel more comfortable and confident with myself.  Previously, I buy meat to suit a dish I want to make.  Now, I just adapt and get the meats on special for the week and adapt my cooking to suit whatever meat/veges and ingredients I have at home.  In fact, it turned out so much more special because it's all home made/ self invented dishes.  Not a copy from some recipe books.  I attempted to make the sausages for my son and wasnt sure of the response but considering he finished 75% it, it is a good testimonial that I can give my son good healthy food on a budget.  


Needs - Although it is sneaky but hey, I am proud of myself for the survival skill.  I was given a $30 voucher in an expensive sports shop but they didnt sell the bike helmet I wanted for my son.  So the Asian brain kicks in - I bought an item from the shop for over $30 and put the rest on my credit card.  A couple of days later, I returned the product saying that it was not suitable with receipt and everything intact.  I got a refund of the whole sum into my credit card.  Now, I have converted the $30 voucher into credit in my credit card and with that money, I could go to the bike shop and get my son's bike helmet!  Hehe! My dad actually gave me a virtual pat on the back for that.  :)  
I also start looking at inorganic collection and collected toys that seem relatively good condition, clean it and voila, it's a new toy for my son.  Kids have such short attention span, it really does not matter whether it is brand new LEGO or something picked up and cleaned and modified by his mother. 
Thanks to trademe website, I also find whatever I could that I have and started selling it on the website.  As the saying goes "One man's junk is another man's treasure"".  :)


Overall, I guess this could be the silver lining in my situation.  A more confident person in who I am and what I can do.  As such, if it does rain 40 days and 40 nights (my son has been saying that it is going to rain 40 days and 40 nights!), I am not worried.  As for knowing what I want in life, I know for sure now that I want a man who is a REAL MAN.  One who knows what a MAN should do and how he should be as a husband and a father.  The MAN that GOD intended when he created Adam.  



2 comments: