Saturday 14 January 2012

Knitting - step by step learning

My situation and my new 'can do' outlook has started me on knitting.  On 26 December 2010, with just a borrowed needle and the knit stitch, I pushed myself to learn knitting.  I have to admit, my determination is also spurred by the fact that 'queen bee' is supposedly good at knitting and I am hopeless in anything housewifey.  

Stage 1 - learning the knit and purl stitch and that resulted in this plain uneven scarf for my son.  At least I finished it!  



Stage 2 - I tried to knit with different yarn.  (p/s, it's because I know queen bee cannot knit with yarns other than wool).  This is a baby poncho for a friend.  I love the feel of the yarn.



Stage 3 - I learnt how to read a pattern.  It was like reading codes , K, P, SSK, Ptog, Ktog.  Thank God for the internet.  With the help of knittinghelp.com  I managed to learn how to read pattern and did my first blouse.  (which by now has shrunk half the size because I put it in the dryer!)


Stage 4 - now I am much more confident, I decided to knit with 2 colours.  Here is the result of the vest for my son. 

Stage 5 - My friend was praising circular needle.  I thought, what the heck.  I will try to master it too.  Here is the shrug knitted with straight needle and circular needle.  

Stage 6 - With all the confidence, I took up the challenge to knit a nativity/crib set for my son.  It took me 8 weeks to finish this set, just in time for Christmas.  Only shepherd was completed after Christmas day.  I have to say I am really proud of my nativity set.  Even got an order from the church to knit one set for the presbytery.  

All these was achieved in 1 year and 5 days. I  started picking up my first knitting needle on 26 December 2010 and completed shepherd on 30 December 2011.  Giving myself a pat on the back for this achievement.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment