Thursday 19 January 2012

Piracy aka Copying of CD

A couple of days ago, my friend mentioned that NZ is strongly against 'copying' of CD.  I was going to write my comments on it but the last few days, I just felt so down.  I felt lost, hopeless, alone and miserable.  After crying for 2 days and 2 nights, nothing has changed but the tears have dried up.  There is nothing left in the well  to come out (at least for today).  So I thought I should share my comment on 'copying' of CD since the SOPA thingy is being talked about.  


I agree that pirating disc/music/books or whatever for the purpose of making an income is definitely wrong.  But if I am just copying because I like the music/show and solely for my own use, I dont see it as being that wrong.  If we look at it the other way, say if I am the singer/actor, I would feel honoured that someone like my song/show so much that they want to keep a copy of it even though it is not the 'correct' way.  That means my show/music is not only limited to the 'affordable' circle but everyone whether they are rich or poor, educated or uneducated.  


I was so sure that if I share the above, I will get lots of critical,cynical comments but not after today.  I saw in Paulo Coelho's blog how he 'support' the piracy of his own books!  This is his comment regarding his "pirate" site.  "Pirate Coelho is a site that was hosted somewhere, with a collection of my texts in P2P pages. It was not me who put it there, but being adept of free contents, I put this URL here. I am just facilitating."  Enjoy.   http://paulocoelhoblog.com/2009/08/31/pirate-coelho-2/  (note, he might remove the link tomorrow).

We need more people with Paulo Coelho's open minded thinking.  



3 comments:

  1. Daddy always copied pirated children's DVD videos and songs for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know and not surprised. Birds of the same kind flock together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Mama and Daddy are cheapskate ;)

    ReplyDelete