Tuesday 31 January 2012

Copyright?

I got a bible CD yesterday for my son.  When I got the CD, the first thing that cross my mind - the cover looks so familiar.  I have seen the picture somewhere!  Then I remembered! It was a Christmas book he was given from his music class for Christmas and distinctly remember the author of the book had a strict copyright setting shown in the picture below. 




It says 'All rights reserves.  No part of the publications may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or even in crayon (!), storage in any information system or otherwise, without prior written permission of the publisher.'


On Page 20 and 21 of the book is this picture, which to me looks the exact same image as the cover picture of the Bible CD. 


Book on left, CD on right
The CD is supposed to be a production from AudioGo UK and USA, read by Paul Jones vocalist in Manfred Mann.  


Now,I strongly believe this picture belongs to neither Alison David (author of the Christmas Travellers book) or AudioGo Ltd.  So it must be a picture that can be used, reproduced (maybe with permission from the artist).  So isnt Alison Davidson a bit harsh when she says "no part of the publications may be reproduced,... even in crayon (!).  She must have taken the picture from a source and if a child wants to copy the picture in crayon, it cant be considered infringement of copyright?





1 comment: