Friday 20 January 2012

'Grandma' goes pub crawling

Last night, which typically is a 'sad' night because I dont have my son with me ended up as an adventure for me aka Grandma.  My friend took me out for a belated birthday treat and after that suggested that we go to a bar that is owned by her family friend.  


It is my first time out at night in a pub for over 4 years and my first time having a cocktail since I last had 5-6 years ago.  Luckily the pub had a nice ambience, no loud music and there was a nice couch next to the patio heater.  I was actually enjoying myself, sipping my Jager Mule.  :)  Then two men approached us. My first thought "Huh, I am a mother. Why would they want to come over?"  I have changed my mindset so much that I only see myself as a mother and not a woman.  


So this is the conversation between me and that guy.  A sure way to kill any guys interest!  :D
Guy : Hi, my name is ***
Me : Hi, I am Pauline
Guy :  Do you come out here often?
Me : Nope, first time in probably 4-5 years
Guy : Wow! Do you just stay at home?
Me: Yes, because I am a MOTHER.
Guy : Oh, arent you a bit too young to be a mother?
Me: Nope but thanks for the compliment.  
Guy : What do you like to do?
Me : Knitting and reading
Guy:  What do you read?
Me : Aliens Love Underpants, The Poo Bus, Monster Sleepover (OK, I could have said Liz Young's Asking for Trouble but I decided not to)
Guy : Oh OK.  
Me : I also cook for my son and make funny dishes.  I then went on about my Marmite Pasta dish, cheese on toast with marmite, my son's marmite smeared face, etc   


Haha! That was boring enough he actually excused himself and went to approach other girls.  


So while my friend was talking to the other guy, I started daydreaming and imagined 15 years from now, my son could be hanging out in a pub like this picking up girls...  But at least it is a very nice decent looking quiet pub.  I started having imaginary conversation between my son and his girl.  


Unfortunately, I got disturbed out of my sweet daydream by that guy again!  He came back and together with his friends suggested that my friend and I go to another bar and check out a band.  I was like thinking "Uh? This place is nice"  but my friend said it will be nice.  


So the grandma me tagged along and we went into this loud bar.  When I walked in, even though the people there are around my age, I actually felt like a grandma walking in.  I felt totally out of place! 


Guy :  Can I buy you a drink?  (I've got to give him credit for his persistency)
Me : Nope.  I dont want to drink anymore. 
Guy :  Errr.. OK  
I ignored him and started people watching.  
Guy : You should let loose and dance and enjoy.  
Me : Nah, I am OK watching people
Guy (probably his last drunk attempt) :  You have nice legs!
Me : Thanks.


He completely gave up and walk away.  Meanwhile this grandma here was watching and noticing how the guys are all there to charm and the girls are all there to impress.  I cant believe 7-8 years back, I am one of these people.  But now, I am like an outsider watching and just felt that this is no longer my scene.  I feel most comfortable at home in my PJ's being with my son watching Jake and the Neverland Pirate.  


I even think at one stage I subconsciously went 'tsk tsk' and sighed when I see people lip singing to the band and shaking their heads.  


Anyway, the grandma in me got really tired and couldnt stop yawning which put any guys off.  And my friend got me home 5 minutes to midnight. Ah, bliss to be away from the music and the party scene.  


Now, I am definitely doomed not to meet any guys with my attitude and interest in life... but I am also proud of myself to see how much I have changed and am comfortable with myself.  Years back, I would have tried to say things to impress or maybe not to offend but now, I just say what I want and do not care if I am out of place or no guys approaches me.  

7 comments:

  1. You don't have to please anymore guys. You already have the most important little man in ur life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately that little man is being contested for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, darling Ryan is going to have a new Daddy soon =) Or perhaps, Daddies! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. No chance. I want a homely man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then my Daddy is the right man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think one mummy is more than enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete