Tuesday 24 January 2012

A la Natural

I had comments regarding my sugee cake asking me whether I would decorate the cake.  Seems like a plain looking cake is no longer appealing even though it is a quality cake.  I found out people rather choose a lower quality cake less butter, less eggs, uses shortening but look pretty i.e nicely decorated with icing and figurines than a simple quality cake using good ingredients.  


I on the opposite, do not mind looking and admiring at those beautiful decorated cake but if I were to eat a cake, I prefer a plain simple cake where I can taste the flavour of the cake rather than one that is masked by the sweetness of icing or fondant.  


Which makes me think about myself.  I am just a plain jane.  My make up has been with me for over 10 years and still sitting there because I probably only wear make up a few times a year for special occasion.  On daily basis, I prefer to be natural.  Just myself with some moisturiser and a dab of lip gloss.  No wonder my taste in food is also plain.  I like food where I can taste the natural flavour of the food rather than one that is all sauces/iced up.  


But nowadays, it seems that nobody feels comfortable with their natural ways.  I remember once when I got to Queen Bee's house early and she says "I cant go out because I havent put on my face".  Is this what the world has become?  Everyone becomes an actor/actress and have to put on a face before they dare to step out of their comfort zone.  Is that why there is a rise in divorce because who you date and who you end up marrying is different because on dates, there is a 'face' put on but behind closed door, the 'face' comes off and a totally different person submerge - be it physically or psychologically.  Are most people now having two personality and look?  One for the public and one for behind closed door?


I wear my emotions on my sleeve and find that in New Zealand, it is so unacceptable.  If you cry in public, it is an indication that you have mental illness!  If you laugh loudly, you are weird.  Once, when my son was only 1 years old and he laughed really loudly, a kid about 5 years old said to his mum "That boy is weird".  I was thinking to myself, it is such a pity a 5 years old have such inhibitions about himself and not carefree to laugh and cry in public.  


Recently, my son found himself a girlfriend a couple years older than him.  I take him to the park and play with her and I play along with her.  As I am petite, I can still play many of the playstuff in the park.  I do noticed other parents staring at me, thinking that I am still a kid.  But why cant we just really let ourself free and really look at life as a kid?  Why just because we are all grown up, it is unacceptable to play with a kid stoop to their level rather than as an adult?


I know I am plain and will not change that.  I will not start putting on a face just to 'belong' to the rest of the society.  In saying that I dont condemned people who feels the need to put a face because it is who they are and what makes them comfortable.  As for my sugee cake, it shall remain sugee cake that is un-iced because  I want people to experience the flavour of the cake, not just admire the cake.  




3 comments:

  1. Cosmetic products expire after 3 years! And you still use them after like.. 10 years? =O FML

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume 10 years since I got my cosmetic stuff in Malaysia and I have been here 10 years. I hardly use them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps Mama can buy in smaller quantities per container? :)

    ReplyDelete